Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day. Happier Please.

So.

(ahem)

So. I've been told I'm a holiday ho. And not the whole santa laugh either. But, I require holidays. Period. I celebrate them. Hard. And I fall hard when they're empty.

So, now that we've met...

Mother's day is, well, upon us (ok, its tomorrow). And I'm happy/sad/anxious/overdoing it with the whole thing, yes, already. But (yes, there'll be plenty of buts) it's a decently important holiday... though I acknowledge , that I have a problem, so I'll need to say this in hushed tones.

I don't think I need to change. I mean there are plenty of other news outlets out there that get off (way off, nasty style) on bad news, and I'm sure going overboard for valentines day (think 17 elaborate gifts for a cubby full of toddlers), and what isn't worth celebrating more than earth-day?! Three kings day?! Sheep Shearing Saturday? Err... the second coming of my 26 and a half birthday?! I like to think I find the god in small things. And god is so embedded in celebrations.

Obvious bias: I like to find things to celebrate. I can celebrate (and nearly do) ey'thing.

When I was a kid, my mom always got me "surprises". I'm talking before her strangely assembled bags of random items, but one, maybe two desired gifts inside. A pinwheel. One or two Andees. The Do the Right Thang VHS (no comment). But things I wanted and that were in fact surprising. It's genetic you know, even Zora's second favorite (or most used word) besides no of course, is SURPRISE.

But I realize not all folks have it in them to celebrate. That, as I said in my last post, some celebrations just don't make sense considering context, relationship; reality. And I get that. I understand.

Even how I approach wanting to get to happy is likely a lot (hi Brian), and so, I get that too.

I understand.

And I will continue to hunt for happy, for celebratory, for mother's day and evacuation day alike, cause thats who and where I am.

Mazal tov and #Kanyeshrug

D

2 comments:

  1. oh girl, i get you. i used to be a "holiday ho", but now have matured into..well...somebody else please please please do it for once!! you are a young mommy, i think you want to make everything magical, isn't that all part of it?? be you. nobody else can, and you are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wonder if it is the new-parenthood piece, and if I'll eventually give someone else a turn. That's comforting to hear that I can and may evolve. :) as well, thanks namesake for the shout out. I think you're pretty awesome too.

    Hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete